Wednesday, May 1, 2024

A Quick Project - Coming Home Table Runner

This is not the typical fabric I usually choose.  It is a military themed fabric line called Coming Home, from Riley Blake Designs.  The fabric designer is Vicki Gifford and she lives in the general area of the U.S. as I do.  I had briefly met her recently.  The graphics on her fabric are from her own paintings and I had to make something with her fabrics!


You can take a look at the Coming Home fabric collection at:  SewTech

Since my father was in the Army, I chose the greens and beiges.  I didn't want to make a large project, so I chose to make a table runner.  I had chosen these fabrics - the Army green and beige fabrics are going to be sawtooth stars and the white will be the background.


Once I made the first block, I could tell it wasn't going to work.  The white fabric was too busy, so I traded it out with a solid egg-shell colored fabric.  Visually, it was a lot better.


I proceeded along with the other star blocks.  Once I had put the pieces together, the overall color seemed to be washed-out.  I really wasn't seeing the colors of the Army, just too much of the light background.


I decided to eliminate to light colored background and use the Army green fabric as the background.  Together, I think these fabrics give a good representation of the Army.


And now, I've got to spend a lot time with the seam ripper (growl) and deconstruct all 24 sawtooth saw blocks.  I'll replace the background fabric and return with the results.

Til next time,

- - - - Jane - - - -

No comments: