Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Another Valentine's Day Project? - Part One

I admit that I am a Laundry Basket Quilts addict.  At the moment, I would confess that it may become a problem!  There are so many quilts I want to complete!  And collecting more fabric!

Valentine's Day is a perfect time to make a small heart themed pillow.  Laundry Basket Quilts has a pillow named the Heart to Heart pillow.  

 
Since I already had a charm pack of Strawberries and Cream, I couldn't resist making this pillow.


I also used LBQ's templates to trace the heart shapes.




I used the acrylic template to trace the heart on the focus fabric.  I used a Frixion pen when I marked on the fabric.  

Frixion pens are remarkable!  The ink is heat erasable.  They are perfect when you need to mark your fabric.  Once you are finished with your block, you can erase any marks with the heat of an iron.


Then I traced the stencil to mark the fold line.


With the line marked on the front side of the fabric, it becomes really easy to fold at the line and baste around the heart.




Using the stencil again, I traced the heart on the center of the background fabric.


Next, I pinned the basted heart to the background fabric.




I use a ladder stitch to applique the heart to the background fabric.  I try to make the stitches small, at about 3/8th of an inch.  By using this stitch, I've been lucky with my thread not showing on the front of the block.









Once the heart is completely stitched, I removed the basting stitches and ironed away the tracing lines.

An example of the magic of the Frixion pens:



Just like the other Valentine pillow, I have yet to finish it.  There will be a continuation with project.

Till next time,

- - - - Jane - - - - 

No comments: