Tuesday, April 30, 2024

Birthday Mystery Quilt - Block 17

 My block 17

From Laundry Basket Quilts blog

Although this week's block was beautifully constructed, it was complicated for me.  In Laundry Basket Quilts' image of the finished block, the nine-patch looks as if it is sewn together with bias edges.  Bias seams tend to stretch and can distort the block.  

Laundry Basket Quilts' image may look like this because it was created as a digital image.  The fabrics may have been added without rotating it 45°.

 

If the block was sewn together with seams that are straight-of-grain, the fabrics would have looked different, specifically the center block. 


When I constructed my block, I cut the fabric with the grain.  With the center block, I had cut it on the bias.


The thought process with this 17th block took a bit longer than the other blocks, but I'm happy with the end result.

Till next time,

- - - - Jane - - - -

No comments: