Thursday, June 20, 2024

A Tote Bag Made Just for Me

Of all the store samples I've made recently made, I had to make a bag for myself.  I don't remember when I first saw this bag, somewhere on the internet, but I fell in love with its colors.     


As I was doing my research on this tote bag, I found out that the designer is Minki Kim.  She is a fabric designer with Riley Blake, and a pattern designer with her company, Sewing Illustration.  And an added plus is that she is originally from (South?) Korea, just like my mom!  


The tote bag uses Emily Belle fabric from Liberty Fabrics.  


This pattern uses a foam stabilizer.  I love the structured result of a tote bag when using a foam stabilizer.   I used ByAnnie's Soft and Stable. 

The fabric is sewn into the foam stabilizer, creating its own unit.




The straps are sewn into the foam stabilizer as well.


With the past tote bags that I've made, I've created them with an outer shell with a liner.  In this bag, it is created using binding, to attach the front and back panels, with the bottom panel.  It is sewn on, just like you would with a quilt.  In this bag, I used a narrower binding.  It made it more difficult to hand sew the backside of the binding because of the bulk of the foam stabilizer.  


The construction of this bag went together very smoothly but didn't like that it didn't hold its own shape.  Even when it was stood up on the floor, it still had a flat appearance.



I added a straight stitch along the sides of the bag, to create a side gusset.  I opened the crease in the bottom panel and stitched it along the binding to keep it open.



Now, I have a bag of my own!


Till next time,

- - - - Jane - - - - 

No comments: